Please note, Our Sleep Guide is proudly supported by our readers. The product links you’ll find on Our Sleep Guide are referrals and if you purchase an item we do make a small compensation. Please see our disclosure page for full details.
Stomach sleepers will benefit from a medium-firm to firm mattress. When sleeping on your stomach you need to make sure you have a more solid surface to prevent your back from bowing. If a mattress is too soft and you sleep on your stomach you may have lower back pain and just be less comfortable for an extended period of time. In our best mattresses for stomach sleepers we have narrowed down our top picks for mattresses that provide an ample amount support and firm comfort that will be ideal for this position. We have tried each of these beds ourselves and can confidently recommend them.
Our Top 6 Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers
- Puffy Mattress – $1150 – $300 coupon = $850/Queen | Memory Foam
- Bear – $840 – $50 coupon = $790/Queen | Memory Foam
- Allswell Classic Luxe – $585/Queen | Hybrid
- Cocoon by Sealy – $949/$799 – $100 coupon = $849/$699/Queen | (Firm) Memory Foam
- Saatva – $1099/Queen | Coil on Coil
- Loom & Leaf by Saatva – $1299/Queen | Memory Foam
Firm, But Not Too Firm
Sleeping on your stomach means that you need a surface that will remain relatively flat to keep your back from bowing. The best mattress to provide a flatter surface is a firmer mattress. A mattress that is firm enough on top to cradle your body just enough to be comfortable but keep your spine aligned is ideal. You don’t want it to be too firm though, you don’t want your arms falling asleep because they aren’t able to be contoured to either. You will need a supportive, durable core and layers on top that allow the mattress to fall between a 5.5 and 9 on the soft to firm scale.
Much of the feel is also dependent on personal preference, that is why we recommend a range. As long as you are supported and comfortable that’s what is important. Overall you would probably do best with looking at mattresses that fall in the medium-firm or luxury-firm categories up to the firm mattress options too.
Support and firmness or feel aren’t the same thing. We use the word support in reference to the core of the mattress that provides the necessary foundation that gives you proper spinal alignment. The feel pertains to the comfort levels of the top layers that range from soft to firm. It’s good to understand that a mattress can have poor support and still be firm just as a easily as a bed can have great support and still be soft.
This is where the core or foundation of the mattress play an important role. When looking for a mattress for a stomach sleeper you want to make sure that you aren’t sagging or your back is bowing. You want to feel very slightly cocooned by the top but not too much where it affects your posture. You also don’t want it to be too firm or too supportive, this can cause issues with your arms falling asleep or being uncomfortable too. Also, it’s very important to have the proper pillow for stomach sleeping too. A pillow that is lower loft, or thinner, will allow your neck to stay aligned with your back and be the most comfortable.
Best Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers Recommendations:
Are you a stomach sleeper who wants a memory foam mattress? Look no further than the Puffy. This bed uses 4″ of dense, cooling memory foam over a durable base creating an ideal medium firm feel. This feel is perfect for the predominant stomach sleeper and even works well in other sleeping positions.
The Puffy mattress is a 10″ thick, two layer bed. This mattress incorporates patented foams for a “cloud like” sleeping experience. Its unique and modern memory foam top layer is adaptable and curves to every point of your body. This makes for ideal spinal alignment as well as pressure relieving comfort. It is not hard to see why this mattress has become a fast favorite in no time at all. Make sure to save $300 with the BEST Puffy mattress promo code.
The Puffy is a great memory foam mattress, especially for stomach sleepers. This innovative bed easily adapts to your body and makes for and ideal sleeping surface. It will be perfect for you if…
- Want a mattress that has great support and ideal pressure relief that adapts and contours to your body.
- You want a memory foam mattress that has very little motion transfer as well as heat reducing properties.
- You like a medium firm mattress that comes in at a good price point as well as offers a lifetime warranty.
- The idea of sleeping on a cloud sounds appealing!
#2 – Bear
The Bear all foam mattress is another universal medium-firm mattress. This one like many others borders on the firmer side and makes if great for stomach sleeping. Another great feature of this mattress is not only its true memory foam feel but price point too. After our coupon this bed is under $800 and is worth every penny of its affordable luxury feel.
The multiple layers of foams in this bed create a dense and sturdy feel that allows you to sink in just enough. This mattress is even covered in a Celliant infused fabric to help your body repair and restore while it sleeps. This unique technology is ideal for athletes or anyone who needs some extra rejuvenation.
The Bear mattress is a true memory foam feel with just enough pressure relief and ideal support. As well as its Celliant cover for a restoring night of sleep. It will be the perfect bed for you if…
- You like a medium mattress with good support and the comfort of memory foam.
- If you are an active person who would benefit from having materials that aide in recovery
- You like a company that gives back and for every mattress sold makes a donation to Good Sports
#3 – Allswell Classic Luxe Hybrid:
Allswell is a line that offers both a memory foam and hybrid mattress. The hybrid mattress uses dense and durable coils under solid yet pliable foams. This combination creates a great medium-firm feel ideal for stomach sleepers. The solid edges and fully usable sleep space make this a great option for a hybrid bed. The support is plentiful and the feel is just soft enough with out allowing your back to bow.
This brand not only offers some great mattresses but the pairing of luxury curated bedding really make Allswell unique. The custom selected bedding options pair perfectly with your ideal mattress for a completed look. You get a quality bed at an affordable price and all the designer picked details to take your room from drab to fab.
The Allswell Luxe Classic Firmer hybrid mattress is a true medium-firm feel. The coils offer plenty of support and the dense foams work great for stomach sleeping. It will be the perfect bed for you if…
- If you like a thicker, medium firm feeling hybrid mattress that is still soft enough to work for all sleeping positons.
- You want a very solid bed that has great edge support, minimal motion transfer and sleeps fairly cool.
- You like a mattress that is more budget friendly and from a company that offers additional unique bedding as well.
#4 Cocoon by Sealy:
The Cocoon by Sealy is another great option for stomach sleepers who want a memory foam mattress. This bed has a solid reputation and uses quality materials. For stomach sleeping the firmer style would be preferred, but even the softer choice will still have plenty of support.
Sealy’s bed in a box uses 3 layers of foam to create a 10″ mattress. You can even choose between a soft or firm feel. This mattress has a thick top layer of memory foam to give you a hugging and cocooning feel, hence the name. The Cocoon mattress has an instant edge over its competition with the well known Sealy name behind it. Using years of experience and innovation to create this premium mattress. Their are two options when it comes to this mattress. The Chill has added cooling properties in its cover to give it an instant cool to the touch feel. While the Classic is a great price point without the extra cooling cover. Also, save $100 on your Cocoon purchase with code: OSG100.
The Cocoon by Sealy mattress is a true memory foam feel with just enough pressure relief and ideal support. As well as the cool to the touch cover. It will be the perfect bed for you if…
- You like an established brand with a good quality mattress at a good price.
- You like a true memory foam mattress that is either a touch soft or a touch firm.
- If you want a memory foam mattress that doesn’t get too hot and has added properties to keep you cooler.
The Saatva is one of the top picks for stomach sleepers for clear reasons. This very durable and solid mattress doesn’t have just one coil system, but two. Giving it amazing support that is flexible and contouring but ideal for proper alignment in every sleeping position. The top notch materials and construction make it usable from every inch and maintains a consistent feel.
The Saatva is available in either 11.5″ or 14.5″ and uses the same materials with the only difference being the base coils are shorter in one than the other. The dual coil system is combined with premium layers of foam for a balanced feel without being too soft. This is ideal for stomach sleepers and any sleeper who likes solid support. There is also a layer of memory foam to create just enough pressure relief without feeling stuck or sinking in. This is yet another reason this is our top pick in the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
Overall the Saatva mattress is a premium, innerspring mattress that uses very durable materials to create a ideally comfortable and cool traditional style mattress. It will be the perfect bed for you if…
- You want a solid, well constructed mattress with durable materials that won’t break the bank.
- If you like a traditional feeling mattress that comes in two comfort options that will both work great for stomach sleepers.
- You want a mattress that keeps you cool, has durable edges and is hand delivered right to your bedroom.
- You would like a mattress that comes from a company with a well known reputation and brand that also has a substantial warranty too.
#6 Loom & Leaf by Saatva:
This mattress is hands down our favorite memory foam mattress to date. The Loom and Leaf mattress is made by the same company that is in our #1 spot, Saatva. This one is the all foam equivalent and is an ultra-luxurious memory foam mattress that shrinks the competition. Literally!
This 12″ thick premium all foam mattress uses high quality, dense foam layers. Along with top notch construction that creates a perfectly contouring and responsive mattress. The Loom & Leaf bed is a fraction of the price of mattresses that you would find in stores with the same qualities. It has outstanding features & benefits that check all the boxes. This mattress is ideal for stomach sleepers and offers more than plenty support. Hence why it is our second pick for the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
The Loom & Leaf is an amazing mattress with so many great features. It is comfortable, durable and priced just right. It will be the perfect bed for you if…
- Like a memory foam mattress that allows you to choose your preferred level of firmness, but has plenty of support for stomach sleeping either choice.
- You like a high quality memory foam mattress with dense, quality layers and top notch construction that will be delivered and set-up for you.
- If you want a bed that delivers on premium comfort and ideal support. Has minimal motion transfer, sleeps cool and comes in at a great price point.
- You like a company that creates a great product and stands behind it with a solid warranty and trial period. As well as provides the best customer service.
Also, remember Our Sleep Guide is here to help and make sure you find the best mattress for you! If you have questions or need more insight during your mattress buying journey, please feel free to contact us.