If you aren’t sure what the difference between a Pillow Top Mattress and Euro Top Mattress is, no worries. After our short, yet detailed explanation you’ll have a clear idea of how they vary. You might realize that there’s not that much different to them when it comes to a pillow top vs Euro top. Keep reading to learn more. As well as a few of our favorite mattresses that feature pillow tops and Euro tops.
Pillow Top Mattress:
Pillow top mattresses feature an extra layer of cushion found at the top of a mattress. These added softening layers are usually made from a combination of foams and fibers. Making a plush addition to typically firmer mattresses. Most times pillow tops are found over very supportive innerspring mattresses that could use a more balanced feel. The pillow top adds more contouring cushion and plushness to alleviate pressure and work more ideally for all sleepers.
Pillow Top vs Euro Top: What’s The Difference?
There are two common types of pillow tops. The standard pillow top as well as a Euro pillow top. Both offer the same benefits but have slight variations in design. Offering slight but distinguishing factors that make these two pillow tops just different enough.
Standard Pillow Top: In a mattress with a standard pillow top you will notice a difference between the bulk of the mattress and the additional cushioned layer. With a literal added layer.
Even though it is sewn together, the standard pillow top visibly appears to almost be a separate piece. Giving the mattress a distinct look that could be mistaken for a mattress with a mattress topper.
Euro Pillow Top: On the other hand, a Euro pillow top adds the same extra cushion layer but makes the separation more seamless. By incorporating the pillow top into the design of the mattress and cover with a flush, even finish with no visible separation.
Though there is usually a visual cue that there is an added layer, it is much more cohesive and smooth.
In all honesty, the differences between standard pillow top vs Euro top style mattresses are very minimal. Both serve the same purpose and though may look slightly different, are sometimes hard to distinguish. The benefits of either pillow top will be the same. As well as any possible drawbacks, as you can see below.
Pros & Cons of Pillow/Euro Top Mattresses:
With any mattress style, material, or build you will have advantages and disadvantages. Below are a few of the pros and cons that can come with having a pillow top mattress. These may or may not sway your ultimate choice. But it is better to know upfront instead of after a few nights of sleeping on your new mattress.
Pillow/Euro Top Mattress Advantages:
- Reduced Motion Transfer
- Adding more comfort foams and fibers not only enhance feel but also absorb more motion. Making partner disturbance minimal and better motion isolation overall.
- Range of Firmness or Comfort Options
- Affordable Luxury Option
- Many pillow-top mattresses allow for thick, premium builds that are still quite affordable. Though prices range, the majority of pillow top mattresses offer a luxurious feel, but with a price that is less expensive. If you’re on a tight budget but still want a thick, pillow top mattress we suggest the Allswell Supreme.
- Ample Support & Ideal Comfort
Pillow/Euro Top Mattress Downsides:
- Increased Heat Retention
- When you add more layers of foams you may also be adding a bit more heat retention. Depending on the comfort materials used, this may be more or less. While latex and wool will help with neutralizing heat, memory foams and man made materials may contribute to heat. If you’re a warm sleeper and want a pillow top we suggest the natural Avocado latex hybrid mattress. Learn more below.
- Less Durable Foams & Fibers
- Though pillow tops can be made in a variety of comfort foams, some tend to use less durable foams than others. This is true with any mattress, so understanding the build and materials is important regardless of style. Each of our recommendations below uses some of the finest and best materials. If you are worried about long term quality we suggest sticking to the brands with more robust warranties. This is usually a good sign of material integrity and long lasting construction.
- Thicker Profile
- Though this may be considered a pro to some, others may find the very thick build hard to be a negative. It often times can be harder to get in and out of on certain foundations, is difficult to move and may cause a challenge for proper fitting bedding.
Best Online Pillow Top Mattresses:
Many mattresses feature the plusher top of a pillow top. Below are a few of our favorites that incorporate extra layer of cushion. Each of these five mattresses use either a standard pillow top or Euro pillow top to create a more comfortable feeling mattress. The added comfort also adds thickness and pressure relief that gives these beds a premium feel.
If you want not only our top rated hybrid, but overall best mattress of the year the Oceano is for you. This amazing pillow top hybrid mattress does a wonderful job of using ideal materials for balance and support. With premium details, handcrafted design and amazingly affordable you won’t be disappointed.
- 13.5″ Thick Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress with Dual Coil System
- Available in 1 Universal Feel – Plush Medium
- 25 Year Warranty & 365 Night Trial
- Oceano Mattress Review & Video
- 15% OFF Oceano With Code: OURSLEEPGUIDE15
If you’re an enthusiast of premium and natural the 100% organic Avocado latex hybrid mattress will be at the top of your list. The responsive and temperature neutral comfort is optimized with a thick and supportive coil system. A sustainable pillow top mattress that has made several of our best of lists for obvious reasons.
- 13″ Thick Organic Pillow Top Latex Hybrid Mattress
- Available in 1 Feel for the Pillow Top Option – Plush Firm
- 25 Year Warranty & 365 Night Trial
- Avocado Mattress Review & Video
- Best Avocado Coupon: HERE!
Allswell Supreme Mattress:
If you want quality but are on a budget the Allswell brand will have a mattress for you. Their newest and most luxurious mattress is the Supreme. Though this Euro pillow top mattress is still very affordable you’ll get a thick mattress with a premium feel. As well as plenty of support and multiple sleeping benefits.
- 14″ Thick Affordable Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
- Available in 1 Universal Feel – Medium
- 10 Year Warranty & 100 Night Trial
- Allswell Supreme Mattress Review & Video
- 15% OFF Allswell With Code: SLEEPGUIDE15
Helix Luxe Mattress:
If you’re not sure what feel or comfort is best for you take out the guesswork with the Helix Luxe. Offering 6 unique firmness levels with one ideal for every sleeper out there. They even make it easy by offering a quick quiz that narrows down the best mattress for you. Giving you a thick and luxurious mattress that feels like it was made just for you.
- 14″ Thick Luxury Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
- Available in 6 Unique Feels – Sunset, Moonlight, Midnight, Dusk, Twilight & Dawn
- 15 Year Warranty & 100 Night Trial
- Helix Luxe Mattress Review & Video
- Best Helix Luxe Coupon: HERE!
If you want a pillow top mattress that is synonymous with durability, a WinkBed may be in your future. This finely crafted American made mattress uses some of the most substantial and long lasting materials we’ve seen. This mattress is not only solid as can be but very accommodating and ideally comfortable in a variety of firmness options. And to top it off the value is amazing.
- 14″ Thick Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress with Dual Coil System
- Available in 4 Unique Feels – Soft, Luxury Firm, Firm & Plus
- Lifetime Warranty & 120 Night Trial
- WinkBed Mattress Review & Video
- Best WinkBed Coupon: HERE!
Pillow Top vs Euro Top – Both Win!
Now that you know a few of the subtle differences from our pillow top vs Euro top page you can make a more informed decision about the pillow top mattress in your near future. We’d have to say that pillow top mattresses still create some of the best mattress options out there.
With our top 5 suggestions all taking a spot in either our Best Mattress page or Best Hybrid Mattress page. We know the quality, affordability and amazing comfort of any of these beds will certainly be a welcomed addition to any bedroom.
For questions or recommendations please contact us. We are always happy to help and answer any questions you may have.