Please note, Our Sleep Guide is proudly supported by our readers. The product links you’ll find on Our Sleep Guide are referrals and if you purchase an item we do make a small compensation. Please see our disclosure page for full details.
If you are looking for an extra firm hybrid mattress the Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm mattress could be for you. This 12.5″ thick bed combines a solid and dependable layer of coils with dense and durable foams. Making for a substantial sleeping surface from every inch.
Simmons Bedding has taken their years of experience and knowledge and created mattresses that appeal to every sleeper. This one in particular for the anyone who wants the ultimate support. Whether you sleep on your stomach, need a solid edge or just like a firmer feel the Calista Extra Firm has you covered. This mattress is also great for larger or heavier sleepers who want a substantial bed that will hold up too.
Below we will go through some of the highlights of the Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm mattress. Including the materials, comfort and what to expect from temperature regulation and edge support. Helping you discover more about this brand and style.
Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm – Materials:
This 12.5″ thick mattress takes several layers, seven to be exact, to create this dense and durable bed. Starting with several comfort and contouring layers that provide just enough pressure relief. Along with an ample core foundation of coils surrounded by dense encasement for long term flexible support. Together the materials and construction of this mattress make for a true hybrid that offers an extra-firm feel. Pleasing please anyone needing that extra support and long term support.
- Polyester Quilted Cover with SurfaceCool Fibers
- .75″ GelTouch Comfort Foam
- 1″ Luxury Firm Comfort Foam
The top layers of this mattress feature foams and quilting that provide just enough comfort. The density is still supportive and the enhanced materials allow for cool comfort. Making a slightly plush top that doesn’t get too hot while sleeping throughout the night.
- 1″ Energy Foam
- .5″ Micro Diamond Energy Foam
Under the initial comfort foams are the more contouring foams. Again, these slightly more dense foams will provide supportive contour. Letting your body sink in and relieve pressure just enough while maintaining that extra firm feel. the Micro Diamond Energy Foam also helps dissipate heat for pressure relieving memory foam that doesn’t let you get too hot.
- 1.5″ Energy Foam
- Alternating Advanced Pocketed Coils
The coil system of the Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm are triple stranded coils for ultimate support and durability. This paired with the dense base Energy Foam provides the longevity and conforming back support sleepers need. As well as provides just enough movement to easily change sleeping positions on.
- Ventilated AirCool BeautyEdge Foam Encasement
Around the perimeter of the bed is added edge support. This helps create not only a fully usable sleeping surface but also a more rigid support to use for sitting. The added encasement allows for a consistent feel across the entire surface and better durability for larger sleepers, anyone who sits on the edge and just to make sure you get the most life out of your mattress.
Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm – Comfort & Support:
This mattress certainly is for a specific sleeper. The extra firm support and comfort is definitely meant for someone who likes to sleep on their back and stomach. As well as feel more “on” the bed and less cocooning contour and feeling “in” the bed. This mattress is great for someone who is on the heavier side too and wants extra support, especially on the edges.
The consistency and lack of significant give make it a true firm feeling mattress. Falling around an 8 on a firmness scale, with 1 being the softest and 10 the firmest. If you like your mattress on the firmer side and want long term durable support the feel of this bed will certainly appeal to you.
Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm – Temperature Regulation:
There are several materials that help keep this mattress from sleeping too warm throughout the night. Starting at the surface of the mattress you get a Polyester Cover that uses SurfaceCool Plus fibers to keep a cool to the touch feel. Under the cover are several comfort layers of foam. All on the firmer side to help you from sinking in too much and trapping heat. But also incorporate the latest technology to pull heat away from the body and wick away moisture. Making for foams that are less heat retaining.
With any hybrid always comes the advantage of a coil system that readily lets any built up heat easily dissipate. Making for a design that rarely sleeps too warm because of this. The ample air flow between the coils helps any heat trapped in the foams above a place to escape. Making for the Beautyrest Black Calista Extra Firm mattress to sleep temperature neutral for almost any sleeper, even the warmest.
The Calista Extra Firm May Be For You If…
- You like an extra firm hybrid style mattress with plenty of support and little plushness.
- Want solid, durable edge support that creates a consistent feel across as well as ample support for sitting.
- Sleep on your back or stomach and require firm back support with denser comfort foams.
- You are a big and tall sleeper that needs extra durable materials and construction.
- You are a warm sleeper and want a firmer mattress that sleeps more temperature neutral.
- Have a healthy budget that can cover the higher price point of this mattress.
It May Not Be For You If…
- You sleep on your side and need more plush top layers to conform to your shoulders and hips. If this is you make sure to check out the Best Mattresses for Side Sleepers page.
- Want an all foam mattress that you don’t mind sleeping a bit warmer. Again, take a look at our Best Memory Foam mattresses page if that is more appealing.
- You want a medium to medium-soft mattress and are average to smaller sized.
- You’re budget is a key factor and the price point of this bed exceeds it. Make sure to visit our Best Mattresses on a Budget page.
- You are less concerned about durable edge support and don’t use your bed for sitting or sleeping on the edge.
Also, remember Our Sleep Guide is here to help and make sure you find the best mattress for you! If you have questions or need more insight during your mattress buying journey, please feel free to contact us.